Hot flashes are sudden feelings of warmth, which are usually most intense over the face, neck and chest. Your skin may redden, as if you're blushing. Hot flashes can also cause profuse sweating and may leave you chilled.
Although other hormonal conditions can cause them, hot flashes most commonly are due to menopause — the time when a woman's menstrual periods stop. In fact, hot flashes are the most common symptom of the menopausal transition.
How often hot flashes occur varies from woman to woman, but usually the range is from one or two a day to one an hour. There are a variety of treatments for particularly bothersome hot flashes.
May 16, 2014
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Gynecology. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 141: Management of menopausal symptoms. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2014;123:202.
- Casper RF. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of menopause. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Frequently asked questions. Women's health FAQ047. Menopause. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq047.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140312T1457400846. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Get the facts: Menopausal symptoms and complementary health practices. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/menopause/menopausesymptoms. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Elkins GR, et al. Clinical hypnosis in the treatment of postmenopausal hot flashes: A randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2013;20:1.
- Casper RF, et al. Menopausal hot flashes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Hot flash management using alternatives to estrogen. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Pachman DR, et al. Management of menopause-associated vasomotor symptoms: Current treatment options, challenges and future directions. International Journal of Women's Health. 2010;2:123.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.