- Teamwork. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in liver disease (hepatologists) work with specialists in infectious disease, transplantation and other specialties to care for people who have hepatitis C. Children with advanced liver disease are treated by a team of specialists, including pediatric hepatologists, at the Mayo Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital in Rochester, Minnesota.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic treats more than 3,600 people with hepatitis C each year. Doctors are also skilled at helping prevent and treat complications of hepatitis C.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. Treatment for hepatitis C involves antiviral medications. In some cases, liver transplant may be necessary.
- Customized treatment approach. Mayo Clinic uses sophisticated testing to identify which genetic type of virus you have and your genetic predisposition to respond to therapy — so that therapy can be tailored to your needs.
- New approaches. You have access to experimental treatments continually being studied by Mayo Clinic doctors and researchers.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Jan. 15, 2015
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com/#!/content/book/3-s2.0-B9781455748013001569. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Hepatitis C FAQs for the public. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/CFAQ.htm#cFAQ81. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Hepatitis C. Alexandria, Va.: The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Arlington, Va.: The Infectious Diseases Society of America. http://www.hcvguidelines.org/. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Terrault NA, et al. Screening for chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Lorenz R, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of acute hepatitis C in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Terrault NA, et al. Diagnosis and evaluation of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- What I need to know about hepatitis C. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/liver-disease/hepatitis-c/Pages/ez.aspx. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy. Symptoms of liver failure. American Liver Foundation. http://he123.liverfoundation.org/what-is-he/liver-failure-symptoms/. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy. What are the symptoms of HE? American Liver Foundation. http://he123.liverfoundation.org/diagnosis/symptoms-of-he/. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Chopra S. Clinical manifestations and natural history of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Kohli A, et al. Treatment of hepatitis C: A systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2014;13:631.
- Guidelines for the screening, care and treatment of persons with hepatitis C infection. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/hepatitis/hepatitis-c-guidelines/en/. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Rice CM, et al. Hepatitis C: Treatment triumphs. Nature. 2014;510:43.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. December 10, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 18, 2014.