If you receive a diagnosis of hepatitis C, your doctor will likely recommend certain lifestyle changes. These measures will help keep you healthy longer and protect the health of others as well:
Jan. 15, 2015
- Stop drinking alcohol. Alcohol speeds the progression of liver disease.
- Avoid medications that may cause liver damage. Review your medications with your doctor, including the over-the-counter medications you take as well as herbal preparations and dietary supplements. Your doctor may recommend avoiding certain medications.
- Help prevent others from coming in contact with your blood. Cover any wounds you have and don't share razors or toothbrushes. Don't donate blood, body organs or semen, and advise health care workers that you have the virus.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com/#!/content/book/3-s2.0-B9781455748013001569. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Hepatitis C FAQs for the public. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/CFAQ.htm#cFAQ81. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Hepatitis C. Alexandria, Va.: The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Arlington, Va.: The Infectious Diseases Society of America. http://www.hcvguidelines.org/. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Terrault NA, et al. Screening for chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Lorenz R, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of acute hepatitis C in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Terrault NA, et al. Diagnosis and evaluation of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- What I need to know about hepatitis C. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/liver-disease/hepatitis-c/Pages/ez.aspx. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy. Symptoms of liver failure. American Liver Foundation. http://he123.liverfoundation.org/what-is-he/liver-failure-symptoms/. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy. What are the symptoms of HE? American Liver Foundation. http://he123.liverfoundation.org/diagnosis/symptoms-of-he/. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Chopra S. Clinical manifestations and natural history of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Kohli A, et al. Treatment of hepatitis C: A systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2014;13:631.
- Guidelines for the screening, care and treatment of persons with hepatitis C infection. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/hepatitis/hepatitis-c-guidelines/en/. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Rice CM, et al. Hepatitis C: Treatment triumphs. Nature. 2014;510:43.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. December 10, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 18, 2014.