Hepatitis C infection that continues over many years can cause significant complications, such as:
Jan. 15, 2015
- Scarring of the liver tissue (cirrhosis). After 20 to 30 years of hepatitis C infection, cirrhosis may occur. Scarring in your liver makes it difficult for your liver to function.
- Liver cancer. A small number of people with hepatitis C infection may develop liver cancer.
- Liver failure. A liver that is severely damaged by hepatitis C may be unable to function adequately.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com/#!/content/book/3-s2.0-B9781455748013001569. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Hepatitis C FAQs for the public. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/CFAQ.htm#cFAQ81. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Hepatitis C. Alexandria, Va.: The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Arlington, Va.: The Infectious Diseases Society of America. http://www.hcvguidelines.org/. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Terrault NA, et al. Screening for chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Lorenz R, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of acute hepatitis C in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Terrault NA, et al. Diagnosis and evaluation of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- What I need to know about hepatitis C. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/liver-disease/hepatitis-c/Pages/ez.aspx. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy. Symptoms of liver failure. American Liver Foundation. http://he123.liverfoundation.org/what-is-he/liver-failure-symptoms/. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy. What are the symptoms of HE? American Liver Foundation. http://he123.liverfoundation.org/diagnosis/symptoms-of-he/. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Chopra S. Clinical manifestations and natural history of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Kohli A, et al. Treatment of hepatitis C: A systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2014;13:631.
- Guidelines for the screening, care and treatment of persons with hepatitis C infection. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/hepatitis/hepatitis-c-guidelines/en/. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Rice CM, et al. Hepatitis C: Treatment triumphs. Nature. 2014;510:43.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. December 10, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 18, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.