Your doctor may be able to see if you have external hemorrhoids simply by looking. Tests and procedures to diagnose internal hemorrhoids may include:
- Examination of your anal canal and rectum for abnormalities. During a digital rectal exam, your doctor inserts a gloved, lubricated finger into your rectum. He or she feels for anything unusual, such as growths. The exam can give your doctor an indication of what further testing might be appropriate.
- Visual inspection of your anal canal and rectum. Because internal hemorrhoids are often too soft to be felt during a rectal examination, your doctor may also examine the lower portion of your colon and rectum with an anoscope, proctoscope or sigmoidoscope. These are scopes that allow your doctor to see into your anus and rectum.
Your doctor may want to do a more extensive examination of your entire colon using colonoscopy. This might be recommended if:
Jun. 19, 2013
- Your signs and symptoms suggest you might have another digestive system disease
- You have risk factors for colorectal cancer
- You're older than age 50 and haven't had a recent colonoscopy
- Living with hemorrhoids. American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/digestive-conditions/hemorrhoids. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=$eid&isbn=978-1-4557-0295-4&uniqId=398813857-1936. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Hemorrhoids. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hemorrhoids/. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Daram SR, et al. Anorectal bleeding: Etiology, evaluation and management (with videos). Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2012;76:406.
- Mounsey AL, et al. Hemorrhoids. American Family Physician. 2011;84:204.
- Bleday R, et al. Treatment of hemorrhoids. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Rivadeneira DE, et al. Practice parameters for the management of hemorrhoids (revised 2010). Diseases of the Colon & Rectum. 2011;54:1059.
- Rivadeneira DE, et al. Outpatient and surgical procedures for hemorrhoids. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 16, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.