The best treatment for any form of heat rash is to reduce sweating by staying in air-conditioned buildings or, when that's not possible, using fans to circulate the air, wearing lightweight clothing made of fabrics that "breathe" and limiting physical activity. Once skin is cool, heat rash tends to clear quickly.
Mild heat rash doesn't require any other treatment.
More-severe forms of heat rash may require topical therapies to relieve discomfort and prevent complications. Topical treatments may include:
Mar. 07, 2012
- Calamine lotion to soothe itching
- Anhydrous lanolin, which may help prevent duct blockage and stop new lesions from forming
- Topical steroids in the most serious cases
- Miliaria. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for HealthCare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec10/ch118/ch118e.html. Accessed Nov. 20, 2011.
- Miliaria. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/miliaria.html. Accessed Nov. 20, 2011.
- Acne, rosacea and related disorders. In: Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Disorders of the sweat glands. In: Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- O'Connor NR, et al. Newborn skin: Part I. Common rashes. American Family Physician. 2008;77:47.
- Berger TG. Dermatologic disorders. In: McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=747. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Waters TA, et al. Heat emergencies. In: Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6366972. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 22, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.