Heat rash usually heals without problems, but complications sometimes occur, such as:
Mar. 07, 2012
- Infection. Occasionally, heat rash becomes infected with bacteria, causing inflamed and itchy pustules. This can occur in children in diapers but shouldn't be confused with diaper rash, which results from irritation to tender skin, not from blocked pores.
- Heat exhaustion. In hot weather, people with miliaria profunda are at risk of heat exhaustion, because their sweat ducts are blocked. Heat exhaustion can cause low blood pressure, dizziness, nausea, headache and a rapid pulse. Untreated heat exhaustion can lead to heatstroke, a life-threatening condition.
- Miliaria. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for HealthCare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec10/ch118/ch118e.html. Accessed Nov. 20, 2011.
- Miliaria. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/miliaria.html. Accessed Nov. 20, 2011.
- Acne, rosacea and related disorders. In: Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Disorders of the sweat glands. In: Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- O'Connor NR, et al. Newborn skin: Part I. Common rashes. American Family Physician. 2008;77:47.
- Berger TG. Dermatologic disorders. In: McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=747. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Waters TA, et al. Heat emergencies. In: Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6366972. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 22, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.