Complications depend on the types of signs and symptoms you have. For example, overly flexible joints can result in joint dislocations and early-onset arthritis. Fragile skin may develop prominent scarring.
People who have vascular Ehlers-Danlos syndrome are at risk of often fatal ruptures of major blood vessels. Some organs, such as the uterus and intestines, also may rupture. Pregnancy can increase these risks.
Aug. 20, 2015
- Firestein GS, et al. Heritable diseases of connective tissue. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Pauker SP, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Lipoid proteinosis and heritable disorders of connective tissue. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Pauker SP, et al. Overview of the management of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Ehlers Danlos syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders. http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/ehlers-danlos-syndrome. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- An educator's guide: Meeting the needs of the Ehlers-Danlos child. Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. http://ednf.org/patient-resource-library. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2015.
- Deyle DR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 7, 2015.