Treatments and drugs

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Your doctor can remove excess wax using a small, curved instrument called a curette or by using suction while inspecting the ear. Your doctor can also flush out the wax using a water pick or a rubber-bulb syringe filled with warm water.

If earwax buildup is a recurring problem, your doctor may recommend that you use a wax-removal medication, such as carbamide peroxide (Debrox, Murine Earwax Removal Drops), every four to eight weeks as a preventive measure. Because these drops can irritate the delicate skin of the eardrum and ear canal, use them sparingly and only on the advice of your physician.

Aug. 18, 2011