Cyclic vomiting syndrome is characterized by episodes of severe vomiting that have no apparent cause. Episodes can last for hours or days and alternate with symptom-free periods. Episodes are similar, meaning that they tend to start at the same time of day, last the same length of time, and occur with the same symptoms and intensity.
Cyclic vomiting syndrome occurs in all age groups, though it often begins in children around 3 to 7 years old. Although more common in children, the number of cases diagnosed in adults is increasing.
The syndrome is difficult to diagnose because vomiting is a symptom of many disorders. Treatment often involves lifestyle changes to help prevent the events that can trigger vomiting episodes. Medications, including anti-nausea and migraine therapies, may help lessen symptoms.
Aug. 08, 2017
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/cyclic-vomiting-syndrome/Pages/facts.aspx, Accessed Oct. 26, 2016.
- Kaul A, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome: A functional disorder. Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition. 2015;18:224.
- Hikita T, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome in infants and children: A clinical follow-up study. Pediatric Neurology. 2016;57:29.
- Desilets DJ, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 26, 2016.
- Feldman M, et al. Nausea and vomiting. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 26, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Cyclic vomiting syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 26, 2016.
- Sezer OB, et al. A new approach to the prophylaxis of cyclic vomiting: Topiramate. Journal of Neurogastroenterology and Motility. 2016;22:656.
- AskMayoExpert. Dehydration. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Boles RG. High degree of efficacy in the treatment of cyclic vomiting syndrome with combined co-enzyme Q10, L-carnitine and amitriptyline, a case series. BMC Neurology. 2011;11:102.
- Coenzyme Q-10. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed Oct. 29, 2016.
- Propionyl-L-Carnitine. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed Oct. 29, 2016.