Chronic constipation is infrequent bowel movements or difficult passage of stools that persists for several weeks or longer.
Constipation is generally described as having fewer than three bowel movements a week.
Though occasional constipation is very common, some people experience chronic constipation that can interfere with their ability to go about their daily tasks. Chronic constipation may also cause excessive straining to have a bowel movement and other signs and symptoms.
Treatment for chronic constipation depends in part on the underlying cause. However, in some cases, a cause is never found.
Chronic constipation care at Mayo Clinic
Oct. 19, 2016
- Constipation. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/constipation/index.aspx. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2015-2016. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed April 6, 2016.
- Bharucha AE, et al. American Gastroenterological Association Medical Position Statement on Constipation. Gastroenterology. 2013;144:211.
- Rakel D. Constipation. In: Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- Feldman M, et al. Constipation. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- Wald A. Etiology and evaluation of chronic constipation in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- Wald A. Management of chronic constipation in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 4, 2016.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. August 7, 2016.