Your baby's doctor will do a physical exam to identify any possible causes for your baby's distress, such as a blockage in your baby's intestines (intestinal obstruction). If your baby is otherwise healthy, he or she may be diagnosed with colic.
Lab tests, X-rays and other diagnostic tests aren't usually needed, but in unclear cases they help to exclude other conditions as possible causes.
May. 14, 2014
- Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin. Management of infantile colic. BMJ. 2013;347:1.
- Turner TL, et al. Infantile colic: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Lucassen P. Colic in infants. Clinical Evidence. 2010;2:309.
- Turner TL, et al. Infantile colic: Management and outcome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- De Weerth C, et al. Intestinal microbiota of infants with colic: Development and specific signatures. Pediatrics. 2013;131:1.
- Sung V, et al. Probiotics to prevent or treat excessive infant crying: Systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatrics. 2013;167:1150.
- Savino F, et al. New treatments for infant colic. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2010: 22:791.
- Thomas DW, et al. Probiotics and prebiotics in pediatrics. Pediatrics. 2010;126:1217.
- Dobson D, et al. Manipulative therapy for infantile colic. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004796/abstract. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Posadski P, et al. Contamination and adulteration of herbal medicinal products (HMPs): An overview of systematic reviews. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2013;69:295.
- Perry R, et al. Nutritional supplements and other complementary medicines for infantile colic: A systematic review. Pediatrics. 2011;127:720.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.