These tips may provide relief from a bunion:
- Apply a nonmedicated bunion pad to the bony bump.
- Apply an ice pack two to three times daily to help reduce swelling if a bunion becomes inflamed or painful.
- Wear shoes with a wide, deep toe box.
- Avoid shoes with heels higher than 2 1/4 inches (5.7 centimeters).
See your doctor if pain persists.
Feb. 11, 2014
- Bunions. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00155. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Bunions. American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/bunions.htm. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Ferrari J. Hallux valgus deformity (bunion). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Usatine RP, et al. The Color Atlas of Family Medicine. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=8210081. Accessed Sept. 2, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.