Your first appointment will likely be with either your primary care provider or a doctor who specializes in conditions that affect women (gynecologist).
What you can do
To prepare for your appointment:
- Write down your symptoms, including any that seem unrelated to your condition.
- Make a list of any medications, vitamins or supplements that you take along with the dosages.
- Take a notebook or notepad with you to write down information during your visit.
- Prepare questions to ask your doctor, listing the most important questions first to be sure you cover them.
For a Bartholin's cyst, some basic questions to ask include:
- What's likely causing my symptoms?
- What kind of tests might I need?
- Will the cyst go away on its own, or will I need treatment?
- How long should I wait after treatment before having sex?
- What self-care measures might help relieve my symptoms?
- Will the cyst come back again?
- Do you have any printed material or brochures I can take home with me? What websites do you recommend?
Don't hesitate to ask other questions during your appointment as they occur to you.
What to expect from your doctor
Some potential questions your doctor might ask include:
March 26, 2015
- How long have you had symptoms?
- How severe are your symptoms?
- Do you experience pain during sex?
- Do you experience pain during normal daily activities?
- Does anything improve your symptoms?
- Does anything make your symptoms worse?
- Maldonado VA, et al. Benign vulvar tumors. Best Practice and Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2014;28:1088.
- Chen KT. Disorders of Bartholin's gland. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 11, 2015.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 11, 2015.
- Mayeaux EJ, et al. Vulvar procedures: Biopsy, Bartholin abscess treatment, and condyloma treatment. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2013;40:759.
- Laughlin-Tommaso S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 15, 2015.