Many health conditions can cause autonomic neuropathy. It may also be a side effect of treatments for other diseases, such as cancer. Some common causes of autonomic neuropathy include:
June 06, 2015
- Abnormal protein buildup in organs (amyloidosis), which affects the organs and the nervous system.
Autoimmune diseases, in which your immune system attacks and damages parts of your body, including your nerves. Examples include Sjogren's syndrome, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis and celiac disease. Guillain-Barre syndrome is an autoimmune disease that happens rapidly and can affect autonomic nerves.
Autonomic neuropathy may also be caused by an abnormal attack by the immune system that occurs as a result of some cancers (paraneoplastic syndrome).
- Diabetes, which is the most common cause of autonomic neuropathy, can gradually cause nerve damage throughout the body.
- Injury to nerves caused by surgery or radiation to the neck.
- Treatment with certain medications, including some drugs used in cancer chemotherapy.
- Other chronic illnesses, such as Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis and some types of dementia.
- Certain infectious diseases. Some viruses and bacteria, such as botulism, Lyme disease and HIV, can cause autonomic neuropathy.
- Inherited disorders. Certain hereditary disorders can cause autonomic neuropathy.
- Gardner DG, et al. Pancreatic Hormones and Diabetes Mellitus. In: Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Callaghan BC, et al. Diabetic neuropathy: Clinical manifestations and current treatments. The Lancet Neurology. 2012;11:521. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Stevens MJ. Diabetic autonomic neuropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Tesfaye S, et al. Diabetic neuropathies: Update on definitions, diagnostic criteria, estimation of severity, and treatments. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:2285. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Disorders of the Autonomic Nervous System. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Diabetic neuropathies: The nerve damage of diabetes. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Overview of the autonomic nervous system. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic-disorders/autonomic-nervous-system/overview-of-the-autonomic-nervous-system. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Philips JC, et al. Squatting, a posture test for studying cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in diabetes. Diabetes & Metabolism. 2011;37:489.
- Bethanechol (prescribing information). Pomona, N.Y.: Barr Laboratories, Inc.; 2007. http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=80ee6156-18b8-45aa-9402-b40647173da8. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Detrol (prescribing information). New York, N.Y.: Pharmacia and Upjohn; 2012. http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=719. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Ditropan (prescribing information). Raritan, N.J.: Ortho McNeil Pharmaceuticals; 2011. http://www.janssenpharmaceuticalsinc.com/assets/ditropanxl.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Hirsch M, et al. Tricyclic and tetracyclic drugs: Pharmacology, administration, and side effects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Robinul and Robinul Forte (prescribing information). Atlanta, Ga.: Shionogi Pharma, Inc.; 2010. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/017558s053lbl.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Shakher J, et al. Update on the management of diabetic polyneuropathies. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy. 2011;4:289.
- Wang CP, et al. A single-blinded, randomized pilot study evaluating effects of electroacupuncture in diabetic patients with symptoms suggestive of gastroparesis. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2008;7:833.
- Feldman, EL, et al. Treatment of diabetic neuropathy. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Rutkove SB. Overview of polyneuropathy. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Olshansky B. Upright tilt table testing in the evaluation of syncope. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Tesfaye S. Neuropathy in diabetes. Medicine. 2015;43:26. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Coon E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 14, 2015.