Factors that might increase a baby's risk of developing atrioventricular canal defect before birth include:
Aug. 14, 2015
- Down syndrome
- German measles (rubella) or another viral illness during a mother's early pregnancy
- Alcohol consumption during pregnancy
- Poorly controlled diabetes during pregnancy
- Smoking during pregnancy
- Certain medications taken during pregnancy — talk to your doctor before taking any drugs while you're pregnant or trying to become pregnant
- Having a parent who had a congenital heart defect
- Fleishman CE, et al. Clinical manifestations, pathophysiology, and diagnosis of atrioventricular (AV) canal defects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Congenital heart disease. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 201t. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Fleishman CE, et al. Management and outcome of atrioventricular (AV) canal defects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- What are holes in the heart? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/holes. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Martin RJ, et al. Genetic and environmental contributions to congenital heart disease. In: Fanaroff and Martin's Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.; Saunders Elsevier; 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. What other conditions are associated with ventricular septal defect (VSD)? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Backer CL. Modified single patch: Are we still worried about subaortic stenosis? Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2015;99:1671.
- Creasy RK, et al. Fetal cardiac malformations and arrhythmias. In: Creasy and Resnik's Maternal-Fetal Medicine: Principles and Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
- The impact of congenital heart defects. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/TheImpactofCongenitalHeartDefects/The-Impact-of-Congenital-Heart-Defects_UCM_001218_Article.jsp. American Heart Association. Accessed June 7, 2015.