Although the exact cause of atrioventricular canal defect is unknown, several factors may increase the risk of a congenital heart defect, such as:
Sept. 12, 2012
- Down syndrome in the baby. Down syndrome is a genetic condition resulting from an extra 21st chromosome.
- German measles (rubella) or another viral illness during early pregnancy.
- Having a parent who had a congenital heart defect.
- Drinking alcohol during pregnancy.
- Poorly controlled diabetes during pregnancy.
- Taking some types of medications during pregnancy. Check with your doctor before taking any drugs while you're pregnant and even when you're trying to get pregnant.
- Atrioventricular septal defect. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/pediatrics/congenital_cardiovascular_anomalies/atrioventricular_septal_defect.html. Accessed July 26, 2012.
- Atrioventricular canal defect. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/AboutCongenitalHeartDefects/Complete-Atrioventricular-Canal-defect-CAVC_UCM_307023_Article.jsp. Accessed July 26, 2012.
- Atz AM, et al. Surgical management of complete atrioventricular septal defect: Associations with surgical technique, age, and trisomy 21. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2011;141:1371.
- Miller A, et al. Long term survival of infants with atrioventricular septal defects. Journal of Pediatrics. 2010;156:994.
- Warnes CA, et al. ACC/AHA 2008 guidelines for the management of adults with congenital heart disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2008;52:e143.
- Living with a congenital heart defect. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/chd/livingwith.html. Accessed July 26, 2012.
- Rasiah SV, et al. Outcome following prenatal diagnosis of complete atrioventricular septal defect. Prenatal Diagnosis. 2008;28:95.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.