Risk factors for ascariasis include:
April 23, 2015
- Age. Most people who have ascariasis are 10 years old or younger. Children in this age group may be at higher risk because they're more likely to play in dirt.
- Warm climate. In the United States, ascariasis is more common in the Southeast, but it's more prevalent in developing countries with warm temperatures year-round.
- Poor sanitation. Ascariasis is widespread in developing countries where human feces are allowed to mix with local soil.
- Leder K, et al. Ascariasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 22, 2015.
- Ascariasis infection (ascariasis). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/ascariasis/. Accessed Feb. 22, 2015.
- Ascariasis. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/ascariasis/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Feb. 22, 2015.