Asbestosis (as-bes-TOE-sis) is a chronic lung disease caused by inhaling asbestos fibers. Prolonged exposure to these fibers can cause lung tissue scarring and shortness of breath. Asbestosis symptoms can range from mild to severe, and usually don't appear until many years after continued exposure.
Asbestos is a natural mineral product that's resistant to heat and corrosion. It was used extensively in the past in products such as insulation, cement and some floor tiles.
Most people with asbestosis acquired it on the job before the federal government began regulating the use of asbestos and asbestos products in the 1970s. Today, its handling is strictly regulated. Acquiring asbestosis is extremely unlikely if you follow your employer's safety procedures. Treatment focuses on relieving your symptoms.
Aug. 12, 2017
- What are asbestos-related lung diseases? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/asb/asb_all.html. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Asbestosis. AskMayoExpert. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Learn about asbestos. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/learn-about-asbestos#asbestos. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Broaddus VC, et al., eds. Pneumoconioses. In: Murray & Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Occupational lung disease. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- King TE. Asbestosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Sen R. Working with asbestos and the possible health risks. Occupational Medicine. 2015;65:6.
- Roggli VL, et al. Pathology of asbestosis — An update of the diagnostic criteria: Report of the asbestosis committee of the College of American Pathologists and Pulmonary Pathology Society. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2010;134:462.
- Ferri FF. Asbestosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- What is COPD? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Copd/Copd_WhatIs.html. Accessed June 17, 2016.