Your doctor will ask you questions about your allergies or any previous allergic reactions you've had. This evaluation will include questions about:
- Whether any particular foods seem to cause a reaction
- Any medications you take, and if certain medications seem linked to your symptoms
- Whether you've had allergy symptoms when your skin has been exposed to latex
- Whether stings from any particular type of insect seem to cause your symptoms
To help confirm the diagnosis:
- You may be tested for allergies with skin tests or blood tests
- You may also be asked to keep a detailed list of what you eat or to stop eating certain foods for a time
Your doctor will want to rule out other conditions as a possible cause of your symptoms, including:
Jan. 16, 2013
- Seizure disorders
- A condition other than allergies that causes flushing or other skin symptoms
- Mastocytosis, an immune system disorder
- Psychological issues, such as panic attacks
- Heart or lung problems
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Kim H, et al. Anaphylaxis. Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology. 2011;7(suppl):S6.
- Allergic reactions: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/allergic-reactions.aspx. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Anaphylaxis overview. American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Anaphylaxis/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Barg W, et al. Exercise-induced anaphylaxis: Update on diagnosis and treatment. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports. 2011;11:45.
- Dinakar C. Anaphylaxis in children: Current understanding and key issues in diagnosis and treatment. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports. In press. Accessed Oct. 2, 2012.
- Anaphylaxis: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/anaphylaxis.aspx. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Li JT (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 12, 2012.