Having a potentially life-threatening reaction is frightening, whether it happens to you, others close to you or your child. Developing an anaphylaxis emergency action plan may help put your mind at ease. Work with your own or your child's doctor to develop this written step-by-step plan of what to do in the event of a reaction. That way, you'll know exactly what you need to do if anaphylaxis occurs, and you'll have a written plan that you can share with teachers, baby sitters and other caregivers so that they'll know what they need to do, too.
If your child has experienced anaphylaxis, talk to his or her school nurse and teachers to find out what plans they have in place for dealing with an emergency. Make sure school officials have a current autoinjector in case your child needs treatment.
Jan. 16, 2013
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Kim H, et al. Anaphylaxis. Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology. 2011;7(suppl):S6.
- Allergic reactions: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/allergic-reactions.aspx. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Anaphylaxis overview. American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Anaphylaxis/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Barg W, et al. Exercise-induced anaphylaxis: Update on diagnosis and treatment. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports. 2011;11:45.
- Dinakar C. Anaphylaxis in children: Current understanding and key issues in diagnosis and treatment. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports. In press. Accessed Oct. 2, 2012.
- Anaphylaxis: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/anaphylaxis.aspx. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.
- Li JT (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 12, 2012.