These steps may help you cope better with a medical emergency if you have Addison's disease:
- Carry a medical alert card and bracelet at all times. In the event you're incapacitated, emergency medical personnel know what kind of care you need.
- Keep extra medication handy. Because missing even one day of therapy may be dangerous, it's a good idea to keep a small supply of medication at work, at a vacation home and in your travel bag, in the event you forget to take your pills. Also, have your doctor prescribe a needle, syringe and injectable form of corticosteroids to have with you in case of an emergency.
- Stay in contact with your doctor. Keep an ongoing relationship with your doctor to make sure that the doses of replacement hormones are adequate, but not excessive. If you're having persistent problems with your medications, you may need adjustments in the doses or timing of the medications.
Aug. 04, 2017
- Addison disease. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/adrenal-disorders/addison-disease. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Adrenal insufficiency and Addison's disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive Health and Kidney Disease. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/endocrine/adrenal-insufficiency-addisons-disease/Pages/fact-sheet.aspx. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Hay WW, et al. Endocrine disorders. In: Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Pediatrics. 22nd ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Nieman LK. Clinical manifestations of adrenal insufficiency in adults. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Adrenal diseases — Addison's disease. National Adrenal Diseases Foundation. http://www.nadf.us/adrenal-diseases/addisons-disease/. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Nieman LK. Treatment of adrenal insufficiency in adults. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Nieman LK. Causes of primary adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease). http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.