An acoustic neuroma may cause a variety of permanent complications, including:
- Hearing loss
- Facial numbness and weakness
- Difficulties with balance
- Ringing in the ear
Large tumors may press on your brainstem, preventing the normal flow of fluid between your brain and spinal cord (cerebrospinal fluid). In this case, fluid can build up in your head (hydrocephalus), increasing the pressure inside your skull.
Apr. 16, 2013
- Acoustic neuroma. American Hearing Research Foundation. http://american-hearing.org/disorders/acoustic-neuroma/. Accessed Dec. 13, 2012.
- Vestibular schwannoma (acoustic neuroma) and neurofibromatosis. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/acoustic_neuroma.aspx. Accessed Dec. 13, 2012.
- Park JK, et al. Vestibular schwannoma (acoustic neuroma). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 13, 2012.
- Evans DG. Neurofibromatosis type 2. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Hearing testing. American Hearing Research Foundation. http://american-hearing.org/disorders/hearing-testing/. Accessed Dec. 13, 2012.
- Vestibular testing. American Hearing Research Foundation. http://american-hearing.org/disorders/vestibular-testing/. Accessed Dec. 13, 2012.
- McDonald R. Acoustic neuroma: What the evidence says about evaluation and treatment. The Journal of Family Practice. 2011;60:E1.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for patients with vestibular schwannomas. International RadioSurgery Association. http://www.irsa.org/acoustic_neuroma.html. Accessed Dec. 13, 2012.
- Support group overview. Acoustic Neuroma Association. http://www.anausa.org/index.php/support-groups. Accessed Dec. 19, 2012.
- Caregivers overview. Acoustic Neuroma Association. http://www.anausa.org/index.php/caregivers. Accessed Dec. 19, 2012.
- Neff BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2013.
- Carlson ML, et al. Long-term audiometric outcomes following low-dose stereotactic radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma: Patterns of hearing loss and variables influencing audiometric decline. Journal of Radiosurgery. In press. Accessed Feb. 27, 2013.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Feb. 27, 2013.