Tushar C. Patel, M.B., Ch.B., is a physician, scientist, administrator and educator. He has a specialty interest in hepatology, with expertise in transplant hepatology and liver cancers.
Areas of clinical expertise include:
- Biliary tract diseases such as primary sclerosing cholangitis and primary biliary cholangitis
- Liver cancers such as hepatocellular cancer and cholangiocarcinoma (bile duct cancer)
- Diseases of the liver such as hepatitis, fatty liver disease and cirrhosis
- Providing team-based care in the Liver Transplant program to patients with end-stage liver disease
- Promoting patients' understanding of their disease and empowering them to become partners in managing their health
In addition to his clinical activities, Dr. Patel is active in research, education and administration. He authors expert content and publishes high-impact publications in many different areas related to liver cancers and liver diseases. He serves as a mentor to students, staff and physicians.
As dean for research, Dr. Patel oversees all research programs and activities at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Gallbladder cancer
- Clinical and transplant hepatology
- Hepatobiliary cancers
Mayo Clinic locations
Fellow - GastroenterologyMayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Resident - Internal MedicineMayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
MB ChBUniversity of Glasgow, Scotland
Activities and honors
Transplant HepatologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine