Areas of clinic expertise include:
- Improving access to liver transplant and the care of patients awaiting liver transplant.
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and the impact of gut bacteria (microbiome) on the progression of this disease.
- The efficacy and safety of new hepatitis C treatment in patients awaiting liver transplant and those with recurrent infection post-transplant.
Dr. Aqel is a member of the United Network of Organ Sharing’s Regional Review Board.
- Liver transplant outcomes
- Viral hepatitis
- Hepatocellular cancer
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
Mayo Clinic Locations
Fellow - Gastroenterology and HepatologyMayo Clinic in Florida
Fellow - Hepatology and Liver TransplantationMayo Clinic in Florida
MD - Internal MedicineUniversity of Missouri, Columbia
Resident - Internal MedicineUniversity of Missouri, Columbia
MD - MedicineUniversity of Jordan
Activities and Honors
GastroenterologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
Transplant HepatologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine