Becoming a Volunteer
Adult volunteers must be at least 18 years old, including college students.
- Complete and submit an application. Once received, a volunteer coordinator will call you for an interview.
- A background check and TB screening will be performed at no cost to you.
- You will receive a volunteer handbook and other required education materials to read, after which you'll sign a confirmation of understanding and compliance documents that will be kept on file.
- You will purchase a uniform ($20 to $85, depending on the service area).
- A photo ID badge and parking decal will be issued.
- All volunteers must attend a group orientation within three months of their start date.
- One-on-one skill training in your assigned service area will be provided. You may train as often and as long as is necessary for you to be comfortable in your role.
- This multistep orientation will conclude in three months with a meeting with the director of Volunteer Services.
- Most volunteers work at least one four-hour shift a week, depending on the service area.
- You may be asked to secure a substitute should you be absent. If so, you will be provided a list of substitutes trained in your service area.
This is a summer program for teens from age 15 through the time you graduate from high school.
Dec. 15, 2016
- Applications for 2017 will be accepted from Jan. 3 to Jan. 13, 2017. No early or late applications will be accepted. Complete and submit an application.
- If accepted, three letters of recommendation from a nonrelated teacher, pastor or other group leader are required in lieu of an electronic background check.
- Only local teens may participate due to pre-summer communications and orientation.
- You must have your own transportation. A parking decal will be issued if you are driving.
- You must purchase a volunteer shirt ($20).
- Group orientation attendance with one parent or guardian is required prior to your start date. At least one parent or guardian will need to co-sign all required paperwork.
- Only one absence is permitted over the summer to be eligible for subsequent years.
- Teens who have satisfactorily completed a full summer and home-schooled students may volunteer year-round.