Mayo Clinic pulmonologists, lung transplant surgeons and other specialists research lung transplant and other treatments for lung conditions. Mayo Clinic pulmonary scientists in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Research actively research lung diseases and conduct clinical trials. Researchers in the Transplant Center study lung transplant and other types of transplants. You may have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials.
Areas of research include:
- Ex vivo lung perfusion to preserve and restore donor lungs
- Stem cell therapy in lung regeneration research
- Improving tests that match donors and recipients (HLA antibody testing)
- Reducing the risk of rejection
- New immunosuppressant medications
- Improving outcomes for people who have had lung transplants
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on lung transplant on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.