Petechiae (puh-TEE-kee-ee) are pinpoint, round spots that form on the skin. They're caused by bleeding, which makes the spots look red, brown or purple. The spots often form in groups and may look like a rash. The spots are often flat to the touch and don't lose color when you press on them. Sometimes they appear on the inner surfaces of the mouth or the eyelids.
Petechiae are common and can be caused by many different conditions. Some may be very serious.
Some of the causes of tiny round spots on the skin, called petechiae, can be potentially serious. See a member of your health care team soon if you develop petechiae all over the body, or you can't identify the cause of the petechiae.
May 26, 2023
- Gottlieb M, et al. Dermatologic manifestations and complications of COVID-19. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2020: doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2020.06.011.
- Bolognia JL, et al. Purpura and disorders of microvascular occlusion. In: Dermatology Essentials. 2nd ed. Elsevier; 2022. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2021.
- Soutor C, et al., eds. The differential diagnosis of purpura. In: Clinical Dermatology: Diagnosis and Management of Common Disorders. 2nd ed. McGraw Hill; 2022. https://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- Kelly AP, et al., eds. Bacterial infections. In: Taylor and Kelly's Dermatology for Skin of Color. 2nd ed. McGraw Hill; 2016. https://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- Gawkrodger DJ, et al. Vascular and lymphatic diseases. In: Dermatology: An Illustrated Colour Text. 7th ed. Elsevier; 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- High WA, et al., eds. Morphology of primary and secondary skin lesions. In: Dermatology Secrets. 6th ed. Elsevier; 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- Bennett JE, et al., eds. The acutely ill patient with fever and rash. In: Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 9th ed. Elsevier; 2020. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- Strep throat: All you need to know. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/groupastrep/diseases-public/strep-throat.html?CD. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- Leukemia. American Society of Hematology. https://www.hematology.org/education/patients/blood-cancers/leukemia. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/immune-thrombocytopenia. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- Madden CC, et al., eds. Skin problems in the athlete. In: Netter's Sports Medicine. 3rd ed. Elsevier; 2023. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
Original article: https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/petechiae/basics/definition/sym-20050724