Sometimes, a penis can curve to the side, upward or downward when it's erect. This is common, and a bent penis usually isn't a problem. Most often, it's only a concern if your erections are painful or if the bend in your penis causes problems with sex.
A bent penis often doesn't need treatment. But if it causes pain or keeps you from having sex, call a doctor or other health care professional. You might need to see a doctor called a urologist, who diagnoses and treats sexual and urinary problems.
June 24, 2023
- Brant WO, et al. Peyronie's disease: Diagnosis and medical management. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Jan. 25, 2023.
- What is Peyronie's disease? Urology Care Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/peyronies-disease. Accessed Jan. 25, 2023.
- AskMayoExpert. Peyronie disease (adult). Mayo Clinic; 2022.
- Penile curvature (Peyronie's disease). National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/urologic-diseases/penile-curvature-peyronies-disease. Accessed Jan. 26, 2023.
- Partin AW, et al., eds. Surgery for benign disorders of the penis and urethra. In: Campbell-Walsh-Wein Urology. 12th ed. Elsevier; 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 26, 2023.