Your respiratory rate is also known as your breathing rate. This is the number of breaths you take per minute.
You can measure your breathing rate by counting the number of breaths you take over the course of one minute while you're at rest.
To get an accurate measurement:
- Sit down and try to relax.
- It's best to take your respiratory rate while sitting up in a chair or in bed.
- Measure your breathing rate by counting the number of times your chest or abdomen rises over the course of one minute.
- Record this number.
March 23, 2020
- Loughlin PC, et al. Respiratory Rate: The Forgotten Vital Sign—Make It Count! The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. 2018; https://www.clinicalkey.com//#!/content/journal/1-s2.0-S1553725018300400. Accessed March 19, 2020.
- Chourpiliadis C, et al. Physiology, Respiratory Rate In: StatPearls [Internet]. 2020. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537306/. Accessed March 19, 2020.