My husband has started to wet the bed at night. What causes adult bed-wetting? Should we be concerned about this?
Answer From Patricio C. Gargollo, M.D.
Bed-wetting that starts in adulthood (secondary enuresis) is uncommon and requires medical evaluation.
Causes of adult bed-wetting may include:
- A blockage (obstruction) in part of the urinary tract, such as from a bladder stone or kidney stone
- Bladder problems, such as small capacity or overactive nerves
- Enlarged prostate
- Medication side effect
- Neurological disorders
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Urinary tract infection
Tests and procedures used to determine the cause of adult bed-wetting include:
- Physical exam
- Urine tests
- Urologic tests
- Neurological evaluation
Treatment of adult bed-wetting is directed at the underlying cause, when possible.
Patricio C. Gargollo, M.D.
March 09, 2021
- Katz EG, et al. Nocturnal enuresis in the adult. Current Urology Reports. 2020; doi:10.1007/s11934-020-00983-2.
- Ferri FF. Enuresis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2021. Elsevier; 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 6, 2021.
- Clemens JQ. Urinary incontinence in men. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Jan. 6, 2021.