Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments that treat this condition
Mayo Clinic researchers actively study new diagnostic tests and treatments for people with heart valve disease. You may have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials. Read more about research in the Cardiovascular Research Center.
Areas of research include:
- New procedures to conduct heart valve repair and heart valve replacement
- Development of biological tissue valves utilizing human tissue for potential use in heart valve replacement
- Catheter procedures to repair or replace heart valves
- Minimally invasive heart surgery to repair or replace heart valves
- 3-D printing of models of the heart and valves that doctors may study to prepare to conduct heart valve surgery
- Use of blood-thinning medications in people with biological and mechanical tissue valves
- Genetics of heart valve disease
- Medical therapy for aortic valve stenosis
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on heart valve disease on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.