Ewing sarcoma care at Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic experts are known for the highest quality expertise and resources to meet the needs of children and adults with Ewing sarcoma. Our experienced sarcoma teams care for hundreds of people each year who have various types of sarcoma.
Your Mayo Clinic care team
Mayo Clinic's pediatric specialists come together as a team to create a customized treatment plan for your child. Pediatric oncologists work with multiple medical and surgical specialists, including but not limited to orthopedic surgeons, pediatric surgeons, pediatric radiation oncologists, radiologists and pediatric rehabilitation specialists. The care team also includes pediatric nurses, child life specialists, social workers and others as needed.
If you're an adult with Ewing sarcoma, Mayo Clinic's experienced team of experts who treat adults will customize care to your specific needs.
Advanced diagnostic methods
Mayo Clinic doctors are respected for their expertise in diagnosing Ewing sarcoma. Though this is a rare type of cancer, our experts have extensive experience in caring for people with Ewing sarcoma.
Mayo Clinic experts offer:
- A prompt and accurate diagnosis. Mayo Clinic pathologists are experts at diagnosing rare tumors, including Ewing sarcoma. Specially trained pathologists with experience diagnosing this type of cancer are essential to getting a correct diagnosis.
- Technology to improve treatment planning. Mayo Clinic surgeons often use 3D models of the tumor and nearby structures to help determine in advance the best way to approach tumor removal. These models are developed by advanced technology that takes information from a CT scan, and layer by layer, prints out a 3D model.
The latest treatments
Mayo Clinic doctors have training and experience in using the latest innovations to improve care for people with Ewing sarcoma.
At Mayo Clinic, you have access to:
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic experts work with you to review treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered includes the latest advancements in chemotherapy, surgery and radiation.
- More precise radiation therapy. Mayo Clinic's Proton Beam Therapy Program provides highly targeted precision beam therapy, destroying cancer while sparing healthy tissue.
- Surgical innovations to preserve limb function. Mayo Clinic has significant experience in limb-saving techniques, and if the tumor involves an arm or leg, most of the time the limb can be saved.
- Fertility preservation program. Certain chemotherapy and radiation treatments increase the risk of impaired fertility. As part of the Mayo Clinic Children's Center, the Fertility Preservation Program evaluates children with cancer whose disease and treatment could affect future fertility. Fertility preservation services are also available for adults.
- Access to the latest through clinical trials. Mayo Clinic is active in sarcoma research, including Ewing sarcoma, which gives you a chance to enroll in clinical trials to try the latest treatment innovations.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic is consistently recognized by external organizations for providing outstanding patient care. These endorsements reinforce our commitment to providing expert care, tailored to the needs of each patient with Ewing sarcoma.
Other reasons to choose Mayo Clinic for Ewing sarcoma care:
- Experience you can trust. Mayo Clinic doctors are widely respected for their expertise in diagnosing and treating all types of cancer, including very rare types. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors care for hundreds of people with sarcoma.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets the strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognize scientific excellence and a multispecialty approach focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- Collaborations to increase knowledge. Mayo Clinic is a member of collaborations to expand the understanding of cancer, such as the Children's Oncology Group and National Comprehensive Cancer Network. These collaborations mean that you or your child will receive coordinated diagnosis and treatment based on the latest research.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., have been recognized among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester is ranked the No. 1 hospital in Minnesota, and the five-state region of Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin, according to U.S. News & World Report's 2021–2022 "Best Children's Hospitals" rankings.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.