Are there any natural remedies that reduce chronic fatigue associated with chronic fatigue syndrome?
Answer From Brent A. Bauer, M.D.
Researchers have evaluated a variety of natural products for effectiveness against chronic fatigue syndrome. Most results have been disappointing.
Preliminary studies showed encouraging results for a few remedies, including:
- Coenzyme Q10
- Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide(NADH)
However, many of these promising early results weren't confirmed by follow-up studies, or the original studies were too small to be conclusive. At this time, there's little evidence to recommend any specific natural remedy as a treatment for chronic fatigue.
Dealing with a condition such as chronic fatigue syndrome can be challenging. There's a lot of hype about various treatments and "natural" approaches. As with any dietary supplement, talk to your doctor before adding something new to your care program. Some herbal products can interact with prescription medicines or have other side effects.
April 25, 2019
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of chronic fatigue syndrome. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed April 3, 2018.
- Brown BI. Chronic fatigue syndrome: A personalized integrative medicine approach. Alternative Therapies. 2014;20:29.
- Rakel D, ed. Chronic fatigue syndrome. In: Integrative Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 3, 2018.
- Bauer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 20, 2018.