Bipolar disorder care at Mayo Clinic
- Leadership and personalized care. At Mayo Clinic, known for national and international leadership in clinical care and research of bipolar disorder, a team of specialists in the Department of Psychiatry and Psychology and other areas, as needed, work with you to set personalized treatment goals and monitor your progress.
- Pediatric specialists. Pediatric specialists in psychiatry and psychology at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota work closely with you and your child to create a personalized treatment plan. The Mayo Clinic Depression Center in Minnesota offers the Pediatric Mood Clinic and the Child and Adolescent Integrated Mood Program (CAIMP), a two-week outpatient partial hospitalization program for children and teens (ages 8 to 18) with primary depression or bipolar disorder.
- Latest diagnostic and treatment options. Getting the right medications for your needs is crucial. In consultation, Mayo providers may use genetic tests to help determine how your body processes various antidepressant or antipsychotic drugs. Doctors work with you to carefully monitor medications, especially antidepressants, which can increase the risk of manic episodes.
- Treatment for complicated cases. The Mayo Clinic Depression Center includes a comprehensive outpatient evaluation and treatment program, the Mood Disorders Unit, which provides inpatient treatment to adults whose bipolar disorder significantly affects functioning or safety, and the Mayo Mood Clinic, an outpatient program that evaluates and treats adults who have treatment-resistant bipolar disorder.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic offers:
- Expertise and teamwork. National and international leaders in the treatment of bipolar disorder, specialists in the Department of Psychiatry and Psychology lead a team of experienced and dedicated professionals who will work with you to set personalized treatment goals and monitor your progress.
- Pediatric experts. At Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota, child and adolescent psychiatrists work with doctors in other specialties, as needed, to do a comprehensive evaluation and develop a treatment plan specifically geared toward your child's needs. When your child leaves Mayo Clinic, Mayo can consult with your hometown doctor to adjust the treatment plan as needed.
- Cutting-edge research. Mayo Clinic scientists conduct research and clinical trials to improve the diagnosis and treatment of bipolar disorder in children and adults. Mayo is a leader in pharmacogenomics research, the study of how genetic factors can predict a person's response to a medication. Mayo Clinic established a major Individualized Medicine Biobank for Bipolar Disorder.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.