People with acne might see better results if they avoid these common skin care mistakes:
- Using oily products. Avoid oily or greasy cosmetics, moisturizers, sunscreens and acne cover-ups. Prefer products that are water based and not likely to block pores (noncomedogenic).
- Forgetting to wash your face daily. Problem areas need gentle cleansing with lukewarm water and mild soap. Do this twice a day and after sweating.
- Being too rough with your skin. Scrubbing too hard or using harsh products such as astringents and masks can worsen acne.
- Touching your face. Keep your hands, phone and hair away from your face. Too much contact can cause flare-ups.
- Picking or squeezing pimples. This can cause an infection or scar.
May 04, 2021
- Kermott CA, et al., eds. Acne. In: Mayo Clinic Home Remedies: Every Day Health the Natural Way. New York, N.Y.: Meredith; 2019.
- Acne: Tips for managing. American Academy of Dermatology. www.aad.org/public/diseases/acne-and-rosacea/acne#tips. Accessed May 6, 2019.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 15, 2019.