The Vascular Malformation Specialty Clinic of the Gonda Vascular Center at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota provides a multidisciplinary approach to patients with vascular malformations. The physicians and surgeons in the Vascular Malformation Clinic represent all areas of expertise necessary to provide the best care for patients with vascular malformations. These specialists have a vast experience in dealing with the evaluation, management and care of patients with vascular malformations. They have extensive expertise in both the medical and surgical management of these complex conditions.
The Vascular Malformation Specialty Clinic is housed within the Gonda Vascular Center of Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota.
Services offered by the Vascular Malformation Clinic
Vascular malformations and related syndromes:
- Arteriovenous malformations (with high-flow arteriovenous connections)
- Capillary malformation/port-wine stain
- Congenital arterial and venous aneurysms
- Lymphatic malformations
- Venous malformations
- Spindle cell hemangioendothelioma
- Cutis marmorata telangiectatica congenita
- Sturge-Weber syndrome
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
- Kasabach-Merritt syndrome
- Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome
- CLOVES syndrome
- Maffucci syndrome
- Middle aortic syndrome
- Parkes Weber syndrome
- Proteus syndrome
- Servelle-Martorell syndrome
- Capillary malformation-venous malformation syndrome
- Capillary malformation-arteriovenous malformation (CM-AVM) syndrome
- Megalencephaly-capillary malformation syndrome
- Diffuse capillary malformation with overgrowth (DCMO)
- Other vascular malformation overgrowth syndromes, including PIK3CA-related disorders
- Blue rubber bleb nevus syndrome
Vascular tumors of infancy:
- Infantile hemangiomas
- Congenital hemangiomas
- Infantile hemangioendothelioma
- Kaposiform hemangioendothelioma
- Tufted angioma
Other vascular malformations:
Most central nervous system vascular malformations are not managed in the Vascular Malformation Clinic but are evaluated by the Department of Neurologic Surgery. Pulmonary malformations such as hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia and Osler-Weber-Rendu disease are managed by the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. Congenital lymphedemas are managed at the Lymphedema Clinic in the Division of Cardiovascular Diseases.
The Vascular Malformation Specialty Clinic participates in a variety of innovative research activities. Current research initiatives include:
- Treatment of vascular complications of Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome
- Bone health in patients with overgrowth syndromes
- Biomarkers in vascular malformations
- Management of primary chylous disorders
- Treatment of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
- Management of middle aortic syndrome
Please call 507-266-6700 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central time, Monday through Friday.
Patients with vascular malformations who come to the Vascular Malformation Specialty Clinic of the Gonda Vascular Center at Mayo Clinic are typically seen by multiple specialists in vascular malformations. The specific specialists involved and the exact studies that will be done depend upon the specific vascular malformation and the problems that the patient is experiencing. Patients usually are seen primarily by a vascular medicine specialist who then coordinates patient care and referrals with other members of the Vascular Malformation Specialty Clinic.
Thomas C. Bower , M.D.
Manju Kalra, M.B.B.S.
Megha M. Tollefson, M.D.
Michael G. Rock, M.D.
Franklin H. Sim, M.D.
Pediatric orthopedic surgery
William J. Shaughnessy, M.D.
Anthony A. Stans, M.D.
D. Dean Potter Jr., M.D.
Samir Mardini, M.D.
Steven L. Moran, M.D.
Karthik Balakrishnan, M.D., M.P.H.
Shelagh A. Cofer, M.D.
Emily C. Bendel, M.D.
Haraldur Bjarnason, M.D.
Michael A. McKusick, M.D.
David A. Woodrum, M.D., Ph.D.
Dawn Marie R. Davis, M.D.
Megha M. Tollefson, M.D.
Jennifer L. Hand, M.D.
Nicholas M. Wetjen, M.D.
David J. Driscoll, M.D.
Mai (Mai-Lan) L. Ho, M.D.
Amy B. Kolbe, M.D.
See a list of publications from Mayo doctors on vascular malformation on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.