TUMT helps reduce urinary symptoms caused by BPH, including:
- Frequent, urgent need to urinate
- Difficulty starting urination
- Slow (prolonged) urination
- Increased frequency of urination at night
- Stopping and starting again while urinating
- The feeling you can't completely empty your bladder
- Urinary tract infections
TUMT can offer advantages over other methods of treating BPH, such as transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) and open prostatectomy. The advantages might include:
- Lower risk of bleeding. TUMT can be a good option for men who take medication to thin their blood or who have a bleeding disorder that doesn't allow their blood to clot normally.
- No hospital stay. TUMT is generally done on an outpatient basis and might be a safer option than surgery if you have certain other health problems.
- Lower risk of dry orgasm. TUMT is less likely than some other BPH treatments to cause the release of semen into the bladder during ejaculation instead of out the body through the penis (retrograde ejaculation). This isn't harmful but can interfere with your ability to father a child.