To prepare for rectal prolapse surgery, your doctor may ask that you:
- Clean with special soap. Before your surgery, you'll be asked to shower using antiseptic soap to help prevent germs on your skin from causing infection after your surgery.
- Stop taking certain medications. Depending on your procedure, you may be asked to stop taking certain medications.
You'll spend one or more days in the hospital after rectal prolapse surgery. So that you'll be as comfortable as possible during your stay, consider bringing:
- Personal care items, such as your toothbrush, hairbrush or shaving supplies
- Comfortable clothes, such as a robe and slippers
- Entertainment, such as books and games