Proton therapy can cause side effects as the cancer cells die or when the energy from the proton beam damages healthy tissue. Because doctors can better control where proton therapy releases its highest concentration of energy, proton therapy is believed to affect less healthy tissue and have fewer side effects than traditional radiation therapy. Still, proton therapy does release some of its energy in healthy tissue. What side effects you experience will depend on what part of your body is being treated and the dose of proton therapy you receive.
In general, common side effects of proton therapy include:
- Mouth, eating and digestion problems
- Hair loss around the part of your body being treated
- Skin redness around the part of your body being treated
- Soreness around the part of your body being treated
April 09, 2016
- Brada M, et al. Current clinical evidence for proton therapy. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:319.
- Ahmad S, et al. Advances in radiotherapy. BMJ. 2012;345:e7765.
- Flanz J, et al. Technology for proton therapy. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:292.
- Devicienti S, et al. Patient positioning in the proton radiotherapy era. Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research. 2010;29:47.
- Proton therapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=protonthera. Accessed Jan. 21, 2016.
- Found 180 open studies with search of: proton therapy AND cancer. ClinicalTrials.gov. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=proton+therapy+AND+cancer. Accessed Jan. 21, 2016.
- Foote RL, et al. The clinical case for proton beam therapy. Radiation Oncology. 2012;7:174.
- Wang D. A critical appraisal of the clinical utility of proton therapy in oncology. Medical Devices: Evidence and Research. 2015;8:439.
- Schulz-Ertner D. The clinical experience with particle therapy in adults. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:306.
- Allen AM, et al. An evidence based review of proton beam therapy: The report of ASTRO's emerging technology committee. Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2012;103:8.
- McMullen KP, et al. Practical aspects of pediatric proton radiation therapy. The Cancer Journal. 2014;20:393.
- Plastaras JP, et al. Special cases for proton beam radiotherapy: Re-irradiation, lymphoma, and breast cancer. Seminars in Oncology. 2014;41:807.
- Chen AB. Comparative effectiveness research in radiation oncology: Assessing technology. Seminars in Radiation Oncology. 2014;24:25.
- Foote RL. Personal correspondence. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 25, 2016.
- Foote RL. Personal correspondence. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 1, 2016.