To prepare for LASIK eye surgery:
Feb. 25, 2014
- Stop wearing your contact lenses. If you wear contact lenses, you'll need to switch to glasses full time for at least a few weeks before your surgery.
Contact lenses can distort the shape of your cornea, which could lead to inaccurate measurements and a poor surgical outcome. Your doctor will provide specific guidelines depending on your situation and how long you've been a contact lens wearer.
- Skip the eye makeup. Don't use eye makeup, cream, perfumes or lotions on the day before and the day of your surgery.
Your doctor may also instruct you to clean your eyelashes daily or more often in the days leading up to surgery, to remove debris and minimize your risk of infection.
- Arrange for a ride home. You'll need to have someone drive you to and from your place of surgery. Immediately after surgery, you might still feel the effects of medicine given to you before surgery, and your vision may be blurry.
- Know what surgery may cost you. LASIK eye surgery is usually considered elective surgery, so most insurance companies won't cover the cost of the surgery. Be prepared to pay out of pocket for your expenses.
- Bower KS. Laser refractive surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 15, 2013.
- LASIK — Laser eye surgery. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/glasses-contacts-lasik/lasik.cfm. Accessed July 15, 2013.
- Bastawrous A. Laser refractive eye surgery. British Medical Journal. 2011;342:d2345.
- Yanoff M, ed., et al. Ophthalmology. 3rd ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2009. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 15, 2013.
- When is LASIK not for me? U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandSurgeryandL/LASIK/ucm061366.htm. Accessed July 15, 2013.
- What should I expect before, during, and after surgery? U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/LASIK/ucm061270.htm. Accessed July 15, 2013.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 5, 2013.