Results of laser hair removal vary greatly from person to person.
Multiple treatments can prolong the duration of hair loss — up to years in some cases — but hair regrowth is still possible. For best results, you might need four to six treatments spaced a number of weeks apart. Additional periodic maintenance treatments — perhaps once every six to 12 months — might be needed as well.
May 10, 2012
- Shenenberger DW. Removal of unwanted hair. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 3, 2012.
- Haedersdal M, et al. Laser and intense pulsed light hair removal technologies: From professional to home use. British Journal of Dermatology. 2011;165:31.
- Do's and don'ts for laser hair removal. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/DosAndDontsLaserHairRemoval.aspx. Accessed Feb. 6, 2012.
- Laser hair removal information. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/LaserHairRemovalInformation.aspx. Accessed Feb. 6, 2012.
- Casey AS, et al. Guidelines for laser hair removal. Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy. 2008;10:24.
- Wanitphakdeedecha R, et al. Physical means of treating unwanted hair. Dermatologic Therapy. 2008;21:392.
- Haedersdal M, et al. Hair removal. Current Problems in Dermatology. 2011;42:111.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 16, 2012.