- Expertise. Mayo Clinic surgeons were pioneers in the development of modern surgical techniques and prosthetics for hip replacement surgery. Since the 1970s, more than 54,000 hip replacements have been performed at the Mayo Clinic. Over 1,500 hip replacements occur at Mayo Clinic annually.
- Learning from experience. The Mayo Clinic Total Joint Registry contains information on every joint replacement surgery performed at Mayo Clinic. The registry helps Mayo Clinic doctors determine which surgical technique and prosthesis type will be the most effective for you. It also has led to many improvements in surgical techniques and prosthesis designs.
- Research advances. People everywhere have benefitted from research in Mayo Clinic's laboratories for biomechanics and motion analysis, which have been instrumental in developing, modifying and patenting new prosthesis designs.
- Innovative pain management. Mayo Clinic doctors use new combinations of regional anesthesia and pain relief techniques that can reduce the need for general anesthesia and intravenous narcotic pain medications, which can speed recovery.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics and for rehabilitation by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
April 29, 2014
- Hip replacement. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Hip_Replacement. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Hip replacement. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Erens GA, et al. Total hip arthroplasty. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Total hip replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00377. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Spangehl MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Jan. 14, 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Total hip replacement surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Nelson CW. Dr. Mark B. Coventry and total hip arthroplasty. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 1996;71:328.
- Golden, AK. Mayo Clinic Total Joint Registry. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan 20, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 27, 2013.