Your doctor will give you specific instructions to prepare for your EUS. You may be asked to:
Aug. 12, 2014
- Fast before EUS, to make sure your stomach is empty.
- Prepare your rectum, if EUS is being done in the rectal area. You may be asked to take a laxative or have an enema and to follow a liquid diet before the procedure.
- Stop taking certain medications, such as blood thinners. Blood thinners may increase your risk of bleeding if fine-needle aspiration is performed during EUS. If you have chronic conditions, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, your doctor will give you specific instructions regarding your medications.
- Plan ahead for your recovery, if you will be sedated before EUS. Most people who have EUS are given medication to relax them. Arrange for someone to drive you home after the procedure.
- Greenberger NJ, et al., eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Gastroenterology, Hepatology, & Endoscopy. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookID=390. Accessed Feb. 26, 2004.
- Lee LS, et al. Update on advanced endoscopic techniques for the pancreas: Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, drainage and biopsy, and endoscopic ultrasound. Radiologic Clinics of North America. 2012;50:547.
- LeBlanc JK. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration in the mediastinum. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. March 19, 2014.
- Wiersema MJ, et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the gastrointestinal tract. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Wiersema MJ, et al. Endoscopic ultrasound in esophageal carcinoma. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Bulman W, et al. Acquisition and processing of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration specimens in the era of targeted lung cancer chemotherapy. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2012;186:606.
- Fasanella KE, et al. Therapeutic endoscopic ultrasound. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Fujii LL, et al. Pitfalls in EUS FNA. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America. 2014;24:125.
- AskMayoExpert. Common procedures and associated bleeding risks. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Levy MJ, et al. Prospective evaluation of adverse events following lower gastrointestinal tract EUS FNA. American Journal of Gastroenterology. In press.
- Maldonado F, et al. Invasive and noninvasive advances in the staging of lung cancer. Seminars in Oncology. 2014;41:17.
- Ngamruengphong S, et al. Risk of gastric or peritoneal recurrence, and long-term outcomes, following pancreatic cancer resection with preoperative endosonographically guided fine needle aspiration. Endoscopy. 2013;45:619.