DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) is a minimally invasive procedure to assess digestive (gastrointestinal) and lung diseases. It uses high-frequency sound waves to produce detailed images of the lining and walls of your digestive tract and chest, nearby organs such as the pancreas and liver, and lymph nodes.
When combined with a procedure called fine-needle aspiration, EUS allows your doctor to sample (biopsy) fluid and tissue from your abdomen or chest for analysis. EUS with fine-needle aspiration can be a minimally invasive alternative to exploratory surgery.
EUS techniques are also used in certain treatments, such as draining pseudocysts.
Aug. 12, 2014
- Greenberger NJ, et al., eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Gastroenterology, Hepatology, & Endoscopy. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookID=390. Accessed Feb. 26, 2004.
- Lee LS, et al. Update on advanced endoscopic techniques for the pancreas: Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, drainage and biopsy, and endoscopic ultrasound. Radiologic Clinics of North America. 2012;50:547.
- LeBlanc JK. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration in the mediastinum. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. March 19, 2014.
- Wiersema MJ, et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the gastrointestinal tract. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Wiersema MJ, et al. Endoscopic ultrasound in esophageal carcinoma. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Bulman W, et al. Acquisition and processing of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration specimens in the era of targeted lung cancer chemotherapy. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2012;186:606.
- Fasanella KE, et al. Therapeutic endoscopic ultrasound. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Fujii LL, et al. Pitfalls in EUS FNA. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America. 2014;24:125.
- AskMayoExpert. Common procedures and associated bleeding risks. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Levy MJ, et al. Prospective evaluation of adverse events following lower gastrointestinal tract EUS FNA. American Journal of Gastroenterology. In press.
- Maldonado F, et al. Invasive and noninvasive advances in the staging of lung cancer. Seminars in Oncology. 2014;41:17.
- Ngamruengphong S, et al. Risk of gastric or peritoneal recurrence, and long-term outcomes, following pancreatic cancer resection with preoperative endosonographically guided fine needle aspiration. Endoscopy. 2013;45:619.