You'll have a follow-up appointment with the gastroenterologist to discuss the outcome of your endoscopic mucosal resection and the results of any laboratory tests performed on tissue samples. Questions to ask your doctor include:
- Were you able to remove all abnormal tissue?
- What were the results of the laboratory tests? Do I have cancer?
- Do I need to see a cancer specialist (oncologist)?
- If I have cancer, will I need additional treatments?
- How will you monitor my condition?
Typically, you will have another upper endoscopy or colonoscopy several months after your procedure to be sure the entire lesion is gone. During your first procedure, your doctor may mark the area of the removed lesion with ink (tattoo) so that the area can be easily checked during any future exams. The needs for additional appointments depend on the results of these findings.