Because it's an invasive test, a discogram isn't appropriate for an initial evaluation of back pain. But your doctor may suggest a discogram if your back pain persists despite conservative treatments, such as medication and physical therapy.
Some doctors use a discogram before spinal fusion surgery, to help identify which disks need to be removed. However, discograms are not always accurate in pinpointing which disks, if any, are causing back pain. Many doctors instead rely on other tests, such as MRI and CT scanning, to diagnose disk problems and guide treatment.
Feb. 25, 2012
- Discogram. American College of Radiology. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=discography. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your lumbar discography test. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. 2010.
- Williams KD, et al. Lower back pain and disorders of intervertebral discs: Injection studies. In: Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1584/0.html. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.
- Stevens JM, et al. The spine: Discography. In: Adam A, et al. Grainger & Allison's Diagnostic Radiology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-10163-2..50063-4--cesec49&isbn=978-0-443-10163-2&sid=1249267188&uniqId=309664755-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-10163-2..50063-4--cesec49. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.
- Staiger TO, et al. Diagnostic testing for low back pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.
- Maus TP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 17, 2012.