A discogram is generally a safe procedure. But as with any medical procedure, a discogram carries a risk of complications. Possible complications include:
Jan. 09, 2015
- Worsening of chronic back pain
- Injury to nerves in and around the spine
- Allergic reaction to the dye
- Pope TL, ed. Musculoskeletal Imaging (Expert Radiology). 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 7, 2014.
- Benzon HT, ed. Practical Management of Pain. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 7, 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your lumbar discography test. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Staiger TO, et al. Diagnostic testing for low back pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 7, 2014.
- Eck JC, et al. Guideline update for the performance of fusio procedures for degenerative disease of the lumbar spine. Part 6: Discography for patient selection. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine. 2014;21:37.
- Waldman SD, ed. Atlas of Interventional Pain Management. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 7, 2014.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Dec. 7, 2014.