Your doctor will review the images taken during the discogram, along with the information you provided during the procedure about the pain you experienced. Both the images and your description of the pain are important to help determine if the disks examined are the source of your back pain. Your doctor will use this information to guide your ongoing treatment or prepare for surgery.
Because a disk can be damaged without causing pain, and because reports of pain during a discogram can vary widely — depending on your pain tolerance, your description of the pain and a variety of other factors — doctors usually don't rely on the results of a discogram alone to direct treatment. Typically, results of a discogram are combined with results of other tests — such as MRI or CT scanning and physical examination — when determining a treatment plan for back pain.
Feb. 25, 2012
- Discogram. American College of Radiology. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=discography. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your lumbar discography test. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. 2010.
- Williams KD, et al. Lower back pain and disorders of intervertebral discs: Injection studies. In: Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1584/0.html. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.
- Stevens JM, et al. The spine: Discography. In: Adam A, et al. Grainger & Allison's Diagnostic Radiology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-10163-2..50063-4--cesec49&isbn=978-0-443-10163-2&sid=1249267188&uniqId=309664755-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-10163-2..50063-4--cesec49. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.
- Staiger TO, et al. Diagnostic testing for low back pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.
- Maus TP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 17, 2012.