If you take blood thinners, you might need to stop taking them for several days before your cortisone shot to reduce your bleeding or bruising risk. Some dietary supplements also have a blood-thinning effect. Ask your doctor what medications and supplements you should avoid before your cortisone shot.
July 02, 2016
- Roberts WN. Intraarticular and soft tissue injections: What agent(s) to inject and how frequently? http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Roberts WN, et al. Joint aspiration or injection in adults: Complications. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Corticosteroid injections. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Use of corticosteroids in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/medication/drug-types/corticosteroids/corticosteroid-injections.php. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Joint injections (joint aspirations). American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Treatments/Joint-Injection-Aspiration. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Steroid injections. American Society of Surgery of the Hand. http://www.assh.org/handcare/procedures-and-treatment/steroid-injection. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Provenzano DA, et al. Joint injections. In: Practical Management of Pain. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 20, 2016.
- Firestein GS, et al. Athrocentesis and injection of joints and soft tissue. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 20, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Joint injections. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.