During your consultation, Mayo Clinic doctors trained in plastic surgery (plastic surgeons) will discuss different surgical options and available techniques for breast augmentation with you. Your plastic surgeon will work with you to determine the most appropriate surgical option and the size and type of breast implant appropriate for you. Your plastic surgeon will discuss with you your expectations, possible risks and complications, associated costs and other considerations.
In breast augmentation surgery, your surgeon may make incisions in the crease under your breast (inframammary incision), at the edge of the colored skin around the nipple (periareolar incision) or under your arm (transaxillary incision). Your surgeon positions the breast implant under your breast tissue (subglandular placement) or under the pectoralis muscle beneath the breast (submuscular placement). Breast implants are filled with a sterile, saltwater solution (saline) or elastic gel (silicone). Your incision scars may fade over time, but they will never completely disappear.
July 16, 2015
- Neligan PC, et al. Breast augmentation. In: Core Procedures in Plastic Surgery. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Breast augmentation. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/breast-augmentation.html. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/BreastImplants/ucm239995.htm. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Breast implants: Local complications and adverse outcomes. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/ucm259296.htm. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Breast implant surgery. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/BreastImplants/ucm064176.htm. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 22, 2015.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 21, 2015.